Friday, April 8, 2011

The Free Table






So I found this amazing pop-up book on the "free table" the other day. "The Pop Up Circus Book" from Random House. The book is beautifully illustrated and contains pages of different circus characters- there are flame-swallowers! cage masters! cannon-ball shooters! and the best part? You simply pull on paper handles and the illustrations move!

Have I introduced you to the "free table" yet? I dont think so. The Free Table is on Pearl street, a mere skip down from my apartment. I pass it every time I walk up and down to central square. Every day there is something new on the table, whether its the family who owns it who lugs stuff out from their home, or residents of the neighborhood who drop off unwanted dreck*. Recently I have been contributing a lot of goods to the free table, as my spring cleaning has begun and I find myself mercilessly ridding myself and my room of unnecessary shlock*.
I find the coolest stuff on the free table! For example, earlier this winter I found a mini hand-crafted Mexican guitar. When I spotted it from a block down, my heart jumped and I snatched it away before any one of my neighbors could take it. Its sitting in my room and I often I pluck its strings and accompany myself while I sing. (I dont know how to play guitar so I just pluck). A while back I also found jumbo playing cards that I have stashed in my growing library of reference materials. They are big, bold and have cool graphic illustrations and symbols. I can't wait to use them in a future project. My roommate, Brian cant wait to play "Giant Poker".

I love children's books! I keep finding great children's books around town and so my collection is growing. I'm appreciating, I think-more than ever- the purity and simplicity of these books; the language is so easy, yet the message is so very deep and meaningful.heartwarming too. And the artwork and illustrations within the books is so beautiful.
I love that every time I read a children's book, I understand the world a little more clearly.
Happily Ever After,
Eleanor



*Dreck: yiddish for useless shit
*Shlock: Also yiddish for useless shit

No comments:

Post a Comment