Wednesday, August 5, 2009

SAN SEBASTIAN!!






Hello! Greetings from San Sebastian in the North of Spain! Its so great here! I arrived yesterday after a long train ride from Madrid. When I stepped off the train all of a sudden the smell of the ocean filled my lungs and it was such a good feeling. I am staying in a Hostel called "Roger's House" and am sharing a small room with Roger. Just kidding. With four Italian guys from Genoa, Italy. haha.They are great. Right now they are in some heated conversation....of which I have no idea. But one of them, Simone knows the best English and he translates for me. I spent the whole day on the beach with them. The waves are HUGE! A few times the wave literally spat me onto the shore...like it picked me up and threw me onto the sand. It was great but then after the second time I started to get offended...like mother nature had something personal against me. I really like this hostel. Its right down town in the middle of everything..stores, markets, heladerias (ice cream shops), and bars...and the ocean. There is a kitchen that is open for us to use and last night I went grocery shopping in a market, came back and made dinner for myself. Its cool because while cooking, people come in and out and you get to know all of their stories. Last night there was a hostel terrace party, where two hostels converged on a terrace and schmoozed. Then we all went to a bar nearby. Tonight the Italians made dinner for all of us...delicious pasta with gorgonzola and brie. So good. It is sooo cool being in this hostel. There are people from everywhere. While we were eating our Italian dinner, a group of three Portuguese guys started cooking some delicious smelling meet and vegetable dish.we sat and talked with them, each of us trying to mend our language barriers, finding words in common, hobbies etc. My room has a terrace that looks out onto a bustling plaza with restaurants and screaming children. Its kind of weird sharing a room with four guys..it takes some getting used to, like I wasnt sure if it was totally wierd if I just started clipping my toenails. I felt a little awkward, but then I realized I didn't care. Its definitely a different experience. They are really nice though and Simone speaks Spanish as well so I practice with him. I've met a lot of Australians here too. And there is a ton of surfers. Since we are in Basque Country, the people speak Vasco...but not really. I haven't heard much of it, mostly with the older people. San Sebastian is a great city and I think I will stay a day later and then continue on to France. This video I took from my bed, looking out to the Plaza below. I never actually found the singers...I could only hear their distant singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment