Saturday, August 8, 2009

In France!









I am in France! I traveled through the night and arrived in Paris at 7:10 this morning. I spent the day walking along the Siene River, stumbling upon pretty amazing things like first- the Notre Dame then the Louvre, and then I found the Eiffel Tower. By then my feet had just about fallen off. Paris is a nice city, very big but not a bad big... Standing at one point on the river you can see everything around you and your sight follows down the river, uninterrupted by huge skyscrapers, it is very pleasant to walk around there. It was kind of an overcast day which cast this really cool, erie glow over the whole city..I think I captured it best in the golden statue against the gray sky. Later, I trekked back to the train station and was on my way to Southern France. Now I am sitting in some motel in Aix-en Provence with a badly dubbed French film playing in the background-where obviouslyAmerican actors' lips are moving in the wrong ways with the sleezy-sounding French voice-overs.
My train came in late tonight and I wasnt able to find a hostel. I met a really nice girl on the train who had helped me translate the conductor's announcements and she helped me find a place to stay. This wasn't what I was expecting (a super-8-like motel in the middle of a nothing-street), but I am glad to have a shower and get a chance to rest after my super long day. Tomorrow I will take the bus into town and see what I can see. I will try and find a hostel in the center of the town. My train mate suggested some things too see around here as well as told me that I should spend less time in Aix and instead travel to a few different towns in this general area. Well I am excited that I am here, and I hope I can find what I am looking for tomorrow!
PS- the language things is quite frustrating. I am so used to being able to communicate...even in Spanish. But here in France, I am completely at a loss for words... (literally) and I so wish I knew even some basic French. I would like to learn. For now, I have my tiny little French phrase book which is helpful, but It is hard to memorize things especially because I am not used to the pronunciation. We'll see! For now, Au Revoir e Bonsoir!
A a three-man band from Sweden camped out in front of the Eiffel Tower...so good! (keep watching, the video will flip the right way)

No comments:

Post a Comment